Previous Posts
Loughborough University
It has already been two weeks since I arrived at Loughborough University. For the first week, things were pretty bad. Being shot with lots of problem, module mapping, accomodation, diners card refund, and the list goes on. I am not going into the details here, if you want to know, ask me personally. But whatever problem that is going to be thrown at me, I am going to throw back solutions and alternatives.

My first hostel in Loughborough University is Butler Court, which I only stayed for a week before I decided to move out. Yes, obviously lots of problems encountered over there. Three of my neighbours staying over there are Germans, who are not really worth mentioning actually. But thanks to this Spanish girl, Laura who is very friendly towards us, and even promise to make us a Spanish meal.

Butler court is a self-catered hall and we have to cook our own meal.



Some photos of my campus (Loughborough University)
Angela: Since when you have a lab over here??
Things got better after settling down in Elvyn Richards Hall, in fact, pretty exciting! The people here are very nice, mostly english except one welsh. We went for meals or food together, blasting loud music across the corridor and playing all sorts of games in that narrow corridor. This really reminds me of the days in Temasek Hall back in National University of Singapore. Tom introduced me to the unicycle. Its tough!! Haha, for a sudden, I wish I have my skates with me...
This weekend, Leiqing and Huishan, the other two Singaporean who came to Loughborough on exchange together with me and Yushun decided to go Nottingham for a short tour. I decided not to join them as I had pretty much of touring before the semester already. I would really like to spend the weekend over here with the locals and experience their culture. I mean, I can always go touring anytime, but to experience a culture is a rare chance, have to know the locals, try living the way of their lifestyle, etc.
Thursday evening - Culture Shock!
I went for a drink with Tom, Bob and Yushun at the hostel pub (Yesh, a pub in my hostel). I was introduced to some really nice and smooth English beer. Over here, when it is time for beer, Bob calls it "Beer-O-Clock" (equivalent to our "Tiger Time"). After getting our beer, we went for the hustings of Elvyn Richards Hall, and this is where the fun begins...
First event we saw, there is this eating competition where two guys have to finish 40 burgers and one whole chicken each. Just like 大胃王!

These two guys are running for the post of treasurer. They were later being tied up together and left half-naked in the open cold weather. (Its winter right now!)
Hot babes in bikinis are running for the post of screatary. This is the most disgusting part. They have to lick the asses of the two guys who were having the eating competition. Something that looks like chocolate or nutella was spread onto their asses. Arghh, super gross. After that, they have to go to the audience with a marker and allow whoever who wants to write anything on any part of their bodies. A secreatry is suppose to be good at taking notes?

Can't really remember what these two girls are running for. But basically they are suppose to pass some stuffs to each other using only the mouth.
That what Elvyn Richards Hall husting is all about. I suppose most of my friends reading this will get a culture shock, including me. Ha, I bet nobody will want to run for committee if there is such a humiliation to go through. Quite self-degrading actually. But well, to them, it seem that they are having lots of fun. I definitely have fun as an audience.
This is the wall in Jo's room, love those lovely picutres...
Friday Night - Clubbing

Make some new friends today, some of them are from other floors or different blocks i guess. After a week of hard work, the weekend is supposed to be meant for partying hard? I assume this is the culture over here. Went to Tesco with Bob, Lu, Tom and Pete in Pete's car, bought lots of beer and start the beer drinking game in Bob's room. After that, went to the club at Union. There is a super long queeue and some bastards just kept cutting our queeue. "Excuse me, there is a fucking queeue for a fucking reason," from Bob and Tom who were very pissed off. Haha. The club was pretty much like our local Zouk. I was introduced to this nice alcoholic drink called Nasty, which Tom claimed that it was the trademark Loughborough drink. Party till around 2am.

Saturday - Game
This was quite a relaxing day. As I am taking some different modules from the other 3 Singaporean students, I have made some new friends from those classes that I am taking lessons alone. I joined Carol aka 思屏, a new friend from my Managment and people skill's class, and her friends for a badminton game in the afternoon. They are mostly taiwanese who are taking their postgrad at Loughborough University. And yesh, I am taking two postgrad modules from the Information Science department too. Has been a long time since I played game, and body still aching now.
I got one last thing to tell you people. I just discovered that I have a month of Easter holiday in April! Also partly because of this holiday that is causing so much problem, one of the reason that I have changed hall. I didn' expect this, as there is no such thing in Singapore. As I have already planned to tour Europe after my semester, I don't really have any plan for Easter. If I am to bring forward my Europe tour, and bring forward my returning date to Singapore, I have to pay a certain administrative fee for change of air-ticket, which is not very worth. Anyway, I decided to go to the States. Haha, Europe for exchange but US for holiday. Well, not exactly touring lah, most important thing is to visit my uncle who is working in Arizona, and not to forget my close buddie, Xinlin!! who is in Virginia!! Haha, missed her when she return to Singapore this January as I have left for UK, but now we are going to catch up with each other again! Excited!
Click here to view the photos in a slideshow (Loughborough University 090206)
Click here to view the photos in a slideshow (Loughborough Hall Night 160206)
Click here to view the photos in a slideshow (Loughborough Union 170206)