Previous Posts
Personal experience in the CAVE @ IHPC
Today, I shall present to you a special blog entry. Why special, because I have invited a special guest to do this entry, as promised earlier. Due to the busy schedule of the guest, this is actually a back-dated entry, featuring the personal experience with the CAVE at A*STAR IHPC. (Refer to the entry dated December 28, 2005.) My entry will be in blue colour while the guest’s one will be in green. A warm welcome to the special guest, cai ling!
First of all, can you believe this guy?! The things he can think of - omg - a guest entry...
Ok this entry's about the cave - so yup yup, I gotta first thank qiyong for arranging with his supervisor for me to visit the cave.
Yesh, I managed to smuggle her into IHPC. I didn’t expect boss will agree when I ask him at the very last minute if I can bring a friend along. Thanks to Dr Lu Chun and Tomas for this.
I met up with cai ling at the NUS central library bus-stop and took the shuttle service to Science Park II. Why do I have to mention this? Hmm, because she has said something strange on the bus. Can’t remember the exact words, but she got the idea that it was an embarrassment for me to bring her to my office! Gosh!! I kept quiet, and don’t know how to reply. She presumed that I agree with her. NO! She has definitely up my market value by going to IHPC with me, haha.
I kept quiet then, because I was thinking… the scenario was a bit familiar, just that I can’t be certain. After some confirmation with the DVDs at home, I then realized that it is that scene of SATC season 6, deleted scene 07, where Harry accusing Charlotte of being ashamed to introduce him to her friends. Haha. Maybe no link, but just find it funny.
Okie, and so we proceed to the CAVE.
For those who didn't understand qiyong's utterly-technical, lengthy explanation of the cave in his earlier entry, it is in a nutshell, a 4-walled "cave" that can present 3D images when you put on expensive glasses.
4-walls are the front, left, right and bottom walls (imagine standing in the middle of a big cube with no ceiling & no back wall). The special glasses cost abt USD800 a pce (can tell how special already??)
So why the cave? When ppl come up with models of the real thing and they need for some reason to see it in 3D - go to the cave. According to the demonstrator, it's usually for presentation purposes. And what did our friend qiyong think about it? "Install counterstrike."
Isn’t it cool, to play counterstrike in an entirely 3D environment? Even better, if can have force feedback. Those who are in Japan, highly recommend visiting SEGA World, where they use the CAVE for gamming experience!
Of course, it is not only about gamming. I feel like I am like Casper, the friendly ghost, when inside the CAVE. Flying and zooming pass everything without feel. It will definitely be nice if the video can be of real life images and touring around the world will be possible! Virtually!
As you will see below, he was fervently clicking away on his digicam... At first I didn't think taking pictures would be allowed, but then the demonstrator said, "Use night shots." So qiyong got more excited...
The main menu of what is available, with our presentor Mr Bernard 

The bosses of the Villa Resort, somewhere in Indonesia (shh...cannot disclose) 

Busy at work, do not disturb! 

Coffee and Tea in the pantry before the CAVE demonstration

Caught unaware! And then... she thinks she's taking a passport photo!!

Thanks to cai ling for the entry above. Today is also the last day of my internship at A*STAR IHPC. I would like to thank Dr Lu Chun for the opportunity and my direct boss Dr Tomas for the guidance.
Dr Tomas Karasek, happily posing for my camera!
Lastly, of course I remember, Happy Birthday to my brother, Rongjin!