Previous Posts
Freedom VS Security
This is the first time, I am eligible to vote. However, I will not get to vote because I am overseas. I shall comment about it as an outsider point of view. On first thought, I don't see the point of voting because everything is just a wayang show. Before voting you already know who is going to win. But after second thought, I feel there is still a need to vote even though you may think who is going to win.
This is actually becoming a laughing stock to the rest of the world. Quoted from Rockson's blog, "My Malaysian friend say you Singapore gahmen is the Best in the World. Why? I ask him. Your gahmen already more boleh than our gahmen. Make until give bribe for vote also become so high tech and legal! In Malaysia our politician still have to go to the village and give the cash. You Singapore people go to the ATM press a few time, and the bribe go into your bank! And somemore got name! Call Progress Package! Ha haha!!!!" What is corruption then? Is it just a very thin line, or with proper definition, you can just call it legal corruption?
In the States, the government serve the people. In Singapore, the government serve the country, rather than the people. In the States, if a new law or regulation need to be passed, it has to go through the people first. If there are violent protests or objections, the law or regulation cannot be passed. This is about serving the people. In Singapore, all that the government needs to do is to inform the citizens about the changes, rules or regulations. Public transport has to increase. ERP has to be implement. When you buy a housing, you have to pay much more than it is actually worth. The same goes for car, buy a piece of paper before you are entitled to own a car. In many expensive cities like Tokyo and New York City, housing prices are high because of human factor, because of demand, many people want to move to that state and as a result the prices are being jerked up. In Singapore, do we have a choice, unless you are intending to migrate, if not just pay the price. Many more that I am sure you can think of. Why do they have to do this? Because Singapore is too small, without any natural resources, have to stay competitive to other parts of the world. I think the most critical reason is not having any natural resource, as such, the government has to come out with ways to get money, from the people! Only then, they can have reserves for various purposes, the ministers can have high salary, if not, we will be losing talents mind you. Those ministers thought they are definitely worth such a high salary if they were to go overseas for other employment, based on their calibre. We need to pay them well in order to retain these people to serve our country. That's what it is about, serving the country, even at the expense of the sufferings of the people.
But I guess, looking at the limitation and restriction of the country, this is the best way it can be so far. They probably already figured it out, even if they wish to serve the people but any other moves they made may compromise to the survival of the country. In the end, the people will also suffer. We have to protect the limitation that we have. By abusing it, we will bound to have very high risk. Sometimes, its ok to be on the safe zone?
Why do I say we need to vote? I feel that although PAP is more likely going to win, it is not very wise to have too many of them seating in there. They will only get arrogrant. It will be nice to have a portion of opposition seating in there, provided they are really capable and have the heart of serving the people. But if there are some clowns within the opposition, it will just screw up the normality in our parliment. There will be internal conflicts instead of working towards for a better future for Singapore. Hence, not only we need to vote, we also need to vote with responsibility.
To conclude, I am just taking a neutral stand and all the above are purely personal opinions. Weather it is PAP or SDP or WP, as long as they don't 乱乱搞, do a good job can liao. This is just life, a lot of ideal things that cannot be fulfiled... We can talk about freedom, democracy, blah blah blah, but what we really want is just security bah.
Just a quote from JX after discussing about the legal corruption, the best part about Singapore government is as long as they bribe him for every election, who cares. They can yaya papaya showing it to the whole world openly and legally means they are good!