My Photo album
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from qiyong tagged with ibages. Make your own badge here.

Qi-Yong

23 yr old Singaporean
MSN: vstar82@yahoo.com
Part time student, full time slacker
Backpacker wannabe
Reporting live from "Singapore"
Happy-go-lucky

Previous Posts

rewinding BACK
December 2005 January 2006 February 2006 March 2006 April 2006 May 2006 June 2006 July 2006 August 2006 September 2006 November 2006



Live Radio Stations







eXTReMe Tracker

Warning: Do Not Click here!



Monday, April 17, 2006

Ich war noch niemals in New York

New York State is the largest state in the USA. It does not quite fit into my first impression of New York. It looks very run down and dirty. The only more developed part of that state is New York City, Manhattan.

















The first part of the trip to New York City was not really enjoyable because it was raining. Although it was raining, we still have to set off because that is my last weekend in the Eastern part of US. Together with lin and her cousin, ruishan, we set off to New York City from New Jersey. The drive was not that bad, just 3 hours to Manhattan.

















Firstly, we went to Chinatown to meet up with uncle Eddy, lin's uncle whom her mom called to meet us there. Her mom was like... New York City is so dangerous, everybody carrys a gun around. Of course, she kept reminding me to drive carefully, stay alert, stay awake, do not speed...etc. The first time I felt such pressure in driving, with lin and ruishan onboard. Can't afford to damage any of them, I won't be able to find another lin to return to her mom.

















Chinatown is quite old and dirty, with lots of people from China, mainly cantonese. We had a meal at this teochew restarurant over there. I ordered my wanton mee. It has been a while since I last had it... Nice.

















After that, we went to timesquare. Wow, I love that place. It is just like shinjuku in Tokyo, so Hip. The only difference is that instead of seeing asians on the streets, you see foreigneers. And those people breakdancing over there are super good. I manage to get a good shot of one of them on the train. Yes, they were doing a back flip in the air, while the train is moving. Cool. I got nothing to say but just give them a USD1 as donation willingly.

















I mananged to take a short clip on it. Click here to view the clip.
We also went to Suho and little italy. There are lots of italian restaruants over there.

















I conclude New York City is not that dangerous afterall. In fact, it is even safer than California. There are lots of things to do in New York City which we don't have time for, the World trade center crash site, Empire State building, (where king kong was film), Status of Liberty. I have also yet to go to downtown Manhattan. I was also busy on that day lah, yeah, busy window shopping.

















The next morning, before bidding goodbye and head back to Virginia, ruishan's family gave us a really good treat at a tim sum restaurant in Atlantic City. One of the thing that I don't like about staying in a western country is about the food. But after this US trip, I guess I was wrong. Look at all the good stuffs I am having throughout the trip...

















I can even get durian over here!

















Althought thailand durians are not as good as our D24 or D13 from malaysia, it is kind of lucky to be able to find a durian in US. Passing on my good luck to






Click here to view the photos in a slideshow (New York City 070406 to 090406)

|12:54 PM|

+ + + + + + + +